Saturday, January 8, 2011

Life After Cancer and an Anniversary of Sorts By Jerry Shelly

Just sitting here, trying to decide if I want to work on my knitting or play with clay, when it hit me. It was about this time in 2006 when my life was turned upside down. I got the phone call telling me "it's not what we hoped". And here I am. Four years later. Wow. And thanks to whoever makes those decisions. Thanks to an outstanding group of physicians. Even you, Eeyore.
My hair is grown out, just past my shoulders. It's still not my hair, but I've worked out a deal with it. My eyelashes are just weird. I'm numb down my left side. I take the medications, just like Eeyore tells me to. There are many, many side effects to them, but none of them are as bad as being dead. Or at least I don't think so.

I see Eeyore every six months, have a yearly mammogram and go along my merry way. Much like Glinda in Wicked, I was changed for the better (if you haven't seen Wicked, it is outstanding!). Cancer made me a better, stronger person. Strange how life works, isn't it?
As for a general life update: One child at Auburn, one on his way. Third child will start high school next year regardless of whether or not he wants to. Lily the dog is good, she really wants me to stop grooming her because I'm not very good at it. I had to buy her sweaters after my last attempt. My parents are well, Mom just got her second knee replacement. Dad is Dad. Brother is doing fine. Nephews, fine - they are going back to school next year.
Recent entertainment: That would be Bugbert. Sigh. He has over 80,000 miles on him and his transmission is confused. The dealer tells me he needs a new transmission. I really don't like that, because a transmission is $6,800. The blue book on Bugbert is $6,800. Huh? And no one can work on it except for the dealer. Right. In any event, we have discovered that I can drive it using the tiptronic thingie, no problems. Or there wouldn't be any problems if I had any clue how to shift gears. It's not like the lawnmower. We suspect there is something electronic going wrong. So I searched the internet and found a repair manual for my baby. The husband thinks he can fix it. The transmission is completely closed, truly strange. The transmission fluid can't be checked. I've always had the maintenance done at VW, I admit I know nothing about the engine. There are lots of other people in the same predicament, I've written VW USA and begged for help on Bugbert's behalf. They offered me money toward another VW. Why would I want that? My car is paid for. I don't want another car payment, I don't want another car, I want my car fixed!! How's that for whining?
In the meantime, the window has developed an attitude. When you shut the door, it likes to gap about two inches, horizontally. Good news is that you can fix it by rolling the window down and rolling it back up. You see, I refuse to let Bugbert die. I think he's trying to communicate with me, but I'm just not listening. I'm sure you, dear reader, will find that hard to believe. So, he tried to commit windshield suicide by running into a rock. He aimed too far right, because the crack is on the right and I can just ignore it. A windshield is $400. Oh, and did I mention that he needs his 80,000 mile maintenance? And that it is $1,800? Haven't done that either. If he'd behave, I'd have his maintenance done. I gave him a supreme car wash just the other day, and his behavior didn't improve one iota. In fact, that's about the time he started his window tic. And I don't have satellite radio anymore because I ripped the wire out of the trunk. It was an accident, I swear. So...I suppose Bugbert, VW and I are at a standoff.
Interested in finding out more about Scratch Off Cards visit our site at http://www.diversifiedlabelimages.com

No comments:

Post a Comment