Saturday, February 12, 2011

God's Healing Grace.

Forum: True Life Stories Date: 2001, Apr 25 From: Peter Smith <psmith@prime.net.sa>

I must start this with some demographic information. I am employed by a U.S. company in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. My wife Judy and our daughter Jennifer, accompany me on this assignment. At the beginning of the following witness, one of our sons was living in Dallas, Texas and the other was living in Seal Beach, California; subsequently, to date they are both living in Dallas.
Judy and I and Jennifer, have come to the Catholic faith while living here in Saudi Arabia. I have worked and lived in Saudi Arabia since September of 1992 and Judy and Jennifer since January of 1995.
-------------------------------------------------------------
While on vacation, (in Dallas, Texas) during the summer of 1998, I noticed blood in my urine just as we were getting ready to return to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Upon our return our return, I went to the consulting clinic our company uses for primary medical care. I saw an Urologist and after several tests, it was determined that I probably had some form of bladder cancer. My doctor determined it was necessary to do a cystoscopic examination and if possible, remove any cancer that may be present.
In October, as a result of the exam, cancer was found and most was removed during the exam. Upon discovering that I truly had cancer, I was devastated, while worrying about everything our Lord brought into focus conditions earlier that summer. Where only prayer and total confidence in Him brought Judy, me, and several others through a very tense time. I prayed and laid the entire burden of the cancer at his feet. It was the only way I could function. I gave Him my life and asked that what ever would come of it that it would be for His Glory.
After recovering from the first exam/surgery, one more surgery and 8 weeks of Chemotherapy ensued. As a result, it was resolved that the cancer appeared to be in remission. Everything was invasive and as a result, I developed a bad infection at the surgery sight resulting in considerable bleeding. The infection was a very resistant strain of bacteria so it took several tries to get a good antibiotic agent.
At the height of the infection, while at our Mass location (no church buildings in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia), the pain and blood from the infection had become unbearable. I cried out while in the bathroom, Please, Jesus take this away! Immediately the normal sounds of a public bathroom were muted. All I heard was silence. Then, in that silence the gentle voice of our Lord said, Peter, like the cancer, this too will pass away. Tell others that they may believe. The sounds of the room returned. Those words left me joyful, awe struck, and very peaceful. However, Satan wasnt far away. Almost immediately, doubt started to creep in. So as I was leaving the bathroom, I was about to neglect to do what He had told me to do (Tell others). In the hallway leading to the meeting room a dear friend stopped me and embraced me and while shaking hands, he said, Peter, I have this awesome feeling you are going to witness today. With this I no longer doubted. I called on the Lord to give me the strength to do his bidding.
In addition, the Lord prepared those in the congregation. That Sundays Scripture readings consisted entirely about the importance of witnessing to the Glory of God, of course, as did the priests homely. Because I was teaching first reconciliation and first communion, I had to make an announcement about their progress. Oh, how beautifully our Lord sets the stage for us to witness to His Glory.
That day I made one announcement about our children, and He through me made an announcement of His Love and Glory. Until I opened my mouth, I had no idea of what to say. (In my seat before I got up, I asked him to give me the words, Lord, I trust in You.) I said, Now for the second announcement. Some of you know that I have recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. Now, as we say at every Mass, Lord I am not worthy to receive you but only say the word and I shall be healed. My friends in Christ, I know today, I have been healed.
Later that week, I said to my doctor (a Moslem). Thank you for helping God to heal my cancer. He embraced me and with tears in his eyes said, Thank you for allowing me to help God heal you.
It is now almost 3 years since that fateful summer I still get quarterly examinations and chemotherapy, and yearly biopsies. To date, I am still free of bladder cancer.
Oh, how glorious it would be to feel His presence always as I did those few seconds in the bathroom.
In the Love of Jesus our Savior
Peter Smith, JMJ

No comments:

Post a Comment