Thursday, December 30, 2010

Still Flying: The Larry Grimmett Story

Like Father
As Larry heard the doctor’s diagnosis, memories of his father came back. He remembered that his had died from prostate cancer only a few years earlier, and now he has prostate cancer. Larry Grimmett, a 56 year-old financial advisor wasn’t ready for what he saw his father go through. “I was scared,” confessed Larry.
Like most men in Larry’s situation, there’s fear of the unknown, fear of life-altering side effects from treatment, and the fear of a slow death like his father. Fortunately for Larry, the past several years have brought new treatment options that his father never had. Larry just had to make a decision.
According to the American Cancer Society, prostate cancer is the most common non skin cancer in America. While 1 in 6 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer, men with a single relative with a history of prostate cancer are twice as likely to develop the disease. As the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer, about 1 man in 36 will die of prostate cancer.

Keeping Score
Larry began his annual PSA testing at 50. At that time his PSA levels were only slightly elevated. But because of his family history with prostate cancer, Larry’s physician knew that close monitoring was prudent. He was then referred to urologist Todd M. Waldmann, M.D, with Idaho Urologic Institute. Dr. Waldmann re-tested Larry annually and from year to year his PSA scores went up and down. Dr. Waldmann recommended a needle biopsy, which was negative for cancer. The following year, Larry’s PSA was higher, so another needle biopsy was performed.
“I was skiing in Sun Valley when I got a call from Dr. Waldmann,” Larry remembered. “He wanted to speak with me about the biopsy when I returned, and I just knew...it made for an uncomfortable vacation.”
“After I get the biopsy results I discuss the options with the patient,” said Dr. Waldmann. “I make my recommendation and then I give them time to decide what they want to do.” Weighing the factors of Larry’s age, general health and Gleason score, Dr. Waldmann recommended removal of Larry’s prostate (prostatectomy) using the da Vinci Surgical System.
da Vinci
The da Vinci® Surgical System is a proprietary robotic platform for minimally invasive surgery. The da Vinci consists of a control console placed several feet from the patient. While seated at the consol, the surgeon maneuvers up to four electromechanical arms attached the remote robotic cart, one arm holding a 3-D video camera. With a magnified 3-D video display of the surgical area, the surgeon uses hand and finger controls to manipulate micro-instruments mounted on the robotic arms. The micro instruments are introduced into the patient's body through minute incisions. The surgeon’s movements are filtered by the robot and scaled as he remains comfortably seated throughout the procedure.
Saint Alphonsus Medical Center was the first in Idaho to offer da Vinci robotic surgeries, beginning in 2002. Saint Alphonsus is now among the top providers of da Vinci surgeries in the Northwest. “With the da Vinci I do a better operation for the patient than with standard laparoscopy or open prostatectomy,” said Dr. Waldmann. “I get better visualization and the instrumentation allows me to be much more precise in maneuvers – millimeters compared to centimeters.”
Doing Stuff
Larry had Dr. Waldmann’s recommendation, but he wanted to learn more. So Larry went internet surfing. Larry read about the kaleidoscope of choices, each with its own risks. There were several standard surgical options, cryotherapy, radiation therapy, radioactive seed implants and robotic assisted surgery. He was facing the same decision nearly 200,000 other men will face every year in the U.S. And like the others, he asked himself the same question; which procedure is right for him?
Larry didn’t want to deal with radiation or freezing, he wanted the cancer out. And he knew the issues he father had following his standard open surgery. “Then I watched a video of a da Vinci prostate surgery,” he said. “I thought the technology was fascinating.”
“I’m busy doing stuff,” Larry commented. Larry is an amateur pilot, golfer, skier and runner – among other interests. “I felt the da Vinci procedure would give me the best chance at allowing me to maintain my lifestyle.”
Feeling confident in his research, Larry made the call. The da Vinci surgery was scheduled at Saint Alphonsus with Dr. Waldmann.
No Problem
“The whole process was even better than I expected,” Larry recalled. “There was almost no pain, and I was walking around only a few hours after surgery. I couldn’t believe I was out of the hospital the next day. My recovery was much faster than I had expected,” he said. “And after six months I was doing all the things I did before surgery. I even ran in three half-marathons last year!”
Larry explained that he had no lingering incontinence or sexual function problems, issues that concern most men facing prostate cancer. “I anticipated the worst but came out thankful I did what I did.”
The ‘X’ Factor
Larry’s success was not unusual for Saint Alphonsus robotic prostatectomy patients. “The da Vinci makes me a better surgeon,” Dr. Waldmann stated. “But the single most important factor in determining patient outcome is surgeon experience.” Dr. Waldmann and his associates have now performed nearly 1000 da Vinci prostatectomies at Saint Alphonsus. Those statistics make Saint Alphonsus one of the most experienced teams in the Northwest for robotic prostate surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment